Saturday, December 10, 2016

Responding to Student Behavior

This week we learned about responding to student behavior. There are many things that educators, peers, and others involved with a child with disabilities can do to help with behavioral problems.

The first thing educators should always do is have effective communication in the classroom, this will minimize confusion for the student and will limit the amount of frustration the student has. Another thing educators should do to help a child with disabilities is have effective teaching methods for that specific student. Students with disabilities often won't learn in the same way or as quickly as other students so it is important to make accommodations and teach in the best way for that child. Third educators should be fostering positive student interactions. This means giving students the opportunity to interact with each other in a positive environment. 

How can educators promote positive group behavior? One way they can do this is by implementing peer mediated instruction. Another way would be peer tutoring- giving peers a chance to tutor or teach each other what they have learned.

In high school, I had a teacher who would often have us pair up in partnerships or small groups after she had taught the math lesson for the day. We would then do an activity or teach the material in some way to a small group of people. This allowed us as students to get the material twice in one day. I was grateful for this teacher because math definitely wasn't my strong suit. I felt through doing this exercise I was able to gain a better understanding of the concept she was trying to teach as well. I also felt I gained confidence in myself as I was able to teach a small group what we had just learned that day.

I am very grateful for all that I have learned this semester, I have gained a better knowledge of children who have disabilities and those who don't have disabilities but still struggle in some way. I have gained a better understanding of the programs available to children and families who qualify for services. I am grateful for the knowledge I have of IEP's I definitely wouldn't have gotten where I am today without an IEP myself. I am grateful for the people in my life who believed that I could do anything I set my mind to and thanks to their love and support I am a semester away from graduating.

I am grateful for all that I have learned this semester that has taught me to be a better disciple of Christ and to love and support those around me.

1 comment: