Friday, October 28, 2016

Assessing Student Needs

This week we learned about how a child is referred for screening and testing to see whether they are eligible for an IEP or other special education services. I really enjoyed this lesson because even though I have had an IEP since I was in kindergarten, I didn't realize the process of deciding whether or not a child is eligible. I found it interesting that there are so many steps involved in the decision process.

Growing up, my special education teachers or resource teachers were required to perform tests on each of the students who had an IEP every month. By the time I got to high school I was so tired of having to have the same tests done each month.  The tests they would perform were a timed one minute reading test, a timed writing test with a writing prompt, and a timed math test with all types of math problems. They performed the tests each month to document progress throughout the year so that when it was time for the annual IEP meeting they would have documentation of progress or things that needed to be worked on.

Looking back I am grateful they performed the tests even though in the moment I thought it was pointless and a waste of time. The documentation they had at the end of the year for the annual IEP meeting helped establish goals, allowed me to see that I was improving, and allowed those involved in my education to see where I was academically and where I needed to be.

In order for a child to be eligible for services there are specific things that have to be determined. First, screening must be performed to determine whether or not the child's performance differs enough from the child's peers to need changes in instruction or even if the child needs more in-depth testing to rule out a disability. Second, diagnosis is determined by the results of the screening and by questions like does the student meet the guideline to be classified as having a disability? If so, what is the extent of the child's disability?. Third, program placement decides where the child's education should take place. This allows educators to decide whether the child needs to be in a special education class full time, part time, or just for special circumstances like testing.

If a child is found to have a disability there is a team that comes up with an action plan to help the child succeed in school. There are many things the school can do to accommodate a child with special needs, the first step is getting the child tested. As parents of children you are not required to wait until someone approaches you about the possibility of your child having a disability. If you feel you child may have a disability you have the right to ask to have your child tested.

I learned a lot this week and am grateful that I had educators throughout my schooling who cared about my well being and who took the time to perform the monthly tests in order to document progress, strengths, weaknesses and have data to support possible goals for the next year. I liked how my special education teachers didn't allow me to get away with things and they pushed me to be the best person I could be. I am grateful for their support as I grew up and went through challenging time. My senior year in high school they were very invested in my education, goals and future plans. They wanted to help me in anyway they could to allow me to succeed as I graduated and moved on to college and my future. I will always be grateful for all they did for me and how much they supported me in my educational and life goals.

~Kolbey

No comments:

Post a Comment